Triangle flickering and outlines of hidden graphics

My emulation of the Pokémon overworld has ever-present triangle flickering and sometimes visible outlines of triangles of graphics underneath during battles. It doesn’t matter if I enable all advanced graphic settings or only hardware rendering.

In my next post, I’ll upload the log for the second issue. This one is for the triangle flickering.

System Information

• Operating System: Arch Linux
  • CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz
  • GPU: Intel® HD Graphics 2500
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): master-8e3c7674d
  • Game: Pokémon X
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar):
    1616950118 1616957594citra_log.txt (68.9 KB)

In order for us to provide better support, we need to see the log generated by Citra. This guide will walk you through how you can obtain the log file: How to Upload the Log File.

System Information for Support

Operating System                              Arch Linux
CPU                                                   Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Graphics API                                  OpenGL ?
Graphics Renderer                             Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 2500 (IVB GT1)
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [ ]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [ ]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• Enabling Accurate Multiplication is recomended in certain games. If you are experiencing graphical glitches, try enabling this option.

Here’s the log for the second issue, “outlines of hidden graphics”. I watched the error logs, and when these outlines showed, the last lines of the log at the time were 391, 493, and 842.

I should mention that I tried out Citra thanks to Force OpenGL3.3 on Intel HD Graphics 3000 (Windows) - Tutorials - Citra Community. I also attached the output of glxinfo. It reports Max compat profile version: 3.0. Although the OP of the linked thread doesn’t mention the version of OpenGL reported by Linux, it does suggest that it works without workarounds. Mine also works without workarounds. Forcing OpenGL 3.3 through an environment variable (MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.3, the minimum required version as mentioned in the Citra FAQ) results in no visible changes to the reported problems.

1616950949 citra_log.txt (166.9 KB)

CPU                                                   Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Graphics Renderer                             Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 2500 (IVB GT1)

• Enabling Accurate Multiplication is recomended in certain games. If you are experiencing graphical glitches, try enabling this option.

glxinfo.txt (35.2 KB)

Here’s a shorter log for the outlines issue.
1617040983 citra_log.txt (41.5 KB)

An old post regarding the outlines bug. I didn’t like this cheat before, but now I do.

Increasing the internal resolution helps. But anything other than native drops my speed below 100%. Here’s a comparison of native, 2x, and 4x, respectively.

1617251726 1617251736 1617251744

Also, the outline cheat doesn’t help in Pokémon Amie.
1617085153 1617085172

Have you tried enabling Accurate Multiplication in Emulation>Configuration>Graphics>Advanced Tab?

Yes.

I only have it disabled to gain 30 fps in the few situations I might have 27-29.

Does disabling Hardware Renderer fix the graphical bugs?

Disabling that with my PC just crashes Citra.

That’s very strange as that would basically put Citra in software renderer mode. If things break whilst using that, there might be a bigger problem with either your system or the AUR build.
Since we aren’t the ones maintaining the AUR build (it’s an unofficial build), please install our official flatpack build from our site and see if you’re getting the same errors.

1 Like

Good idea. Unfortunately, nothing changes with the flatpak build. Software rendered mode still crashes.

Thank you for your support. Your suggestions led me to try out Citra on Linux Mint 20.0 live. It works like a charm. Now I just need to figure out what’s missing on my Arch Linux to make it right.

Here’s the diff between the glxinfo outputs of Arch Linux and Linux Mint.
glxinfo.diff.txt (5.6 KB)

I should note that I still crash on Linux Mint when I disable Hardware Renderer.