Two suggestions to further improve Citra

Hello,

Thank you very much for this emulator which improves from year to year. Citra always improves the visual rendering and now allows save states. I want to offer you two suggestions to further improve the emulator if possible:

• for the save states, can we propose shortcuts so as not to need to go to the menus (Dolphin proposes the use of the F1 keys etc) please?
  • will Citra be able to offer a “free camera” system?

I thank you for your attention and wish you a very happy new year 2023 favorable for emulation projects.

In order for us to provide better support, we need to see the log generated by citra. This guide will walk you through how you can obtain the log file: How to Upload the Log File

This should be possible. Though we’d need to have someone look at our rather dated input system first.

This is significantly more difficult. Citra is an emulator, which means that we imitate the hardware functionality of the 3DS on a different platform (like PC or Android). As a result, 3DS titles run on hardware that they shouldn’t normally be able to run on. That’s because we translate what the 3DS does, and make the hardware of the other platform do the same thing (as accurately as we can) instead.

Your request basically asks us to do something that isn’t really within an emulator’s scope. Different games use different engines. The way they display things, render things, or just “run” in general can be vastly different from one another. The only thing that all these games with different game engines have in common is that they are designed to run on the 3DS (and by extension, an emulator that imitates the 3DS)
This is why there is no universal way to provide freecam functionality for all titles. Implementing a form of freecam that works for one game, doesn’t guarantee that it’ll work for a different game that uses a different game engine. It is more likely that it won’t work.

To be completely honest, it would probably be better to request this of a mod author of a specific game in which you would like to see this.

Thank you for your reply ! For the Free Camera, I was thinking of Dolphin’s “free look” option, but I’ll see if there are people on the forum who know how to do these mods. :wink: