Updating .3DS game file possible?

I understood that updates for games are .cia files that can be installed through Citra. Does the game itself have to be in .cia format as well for the update to be applied properly? Or will an installed .cia update also be applied to a launched .3ds game file?

In order for us to provide better support, we need to see the log generated by Citra. This guide will walk you through how you can obtain the log file: How to Upload the Log File.

Yes. That worked for me.

The update .cia file is installed in Citra’s sdmc folder. So it doesn’t have anything to do with the game file besides ‘‘applying’’ itself to it on launch. The format of your game file is therefore irrelevant.

Thanks for verifying. One other question, if I trim my .3ds files (using NDSTokyoTrim for example), will I still be able to update the game through Citra?

I’m not familiar with NDSTokyoTrim, but if you trim the ROM using godmode9, it won’t affect your ability to update your game in Citra. Trimming only removes unnecessary data from the complete ROM, it doesn’t actually touch anything that affects the functionality of your ROM.