Wait for Optimisation or get a new Laptop/CPU? (Pokemon OR/AS)

Hi.

I’m looking to play Pokemon Games. Had been waiting for Citra for few years now, kept checking for news on progress as well on achieving good gameplay in pokemon games too. I owned a Macbook air before, just switched to the pro (2016) last month (dick move, sigh.).

I currently own a MacBook Pro, late-2016. Made the wrong decision by buying one of the high end 15 inch models of 2016 vs the base 13 inch model of 2017, thinking there won’t be much of a difference in processing speed (Skylake vs Kabylake), but turns out I was the biggest fool, after i saw the 200 point difference between base model 13 inch Pro 2017 vs my 15 inch 2016 model, in the suggested webpage for benchmarks. https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html . I hate myself so much for the waste. Sigh. Anyway, moving on.

Specs - Intel i7-6700HQ, 2.6 GHz (Turbo Boost to 3.5 GHz), 16GB of 2133MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory, AMD Radeon Pro 450 2 GB + Intel HD Graphics 530, 256 GB SSD.

I tried playing Omega Ruby using the latest Citra Build on my Macbook got around a max of 30 fps inside houses and 18-25 outside, with much worse in Cities. Being surprised, I had a gut feeling windows might share a different story, because I had tried to play Nintendo DS games similarly on macOS, but they ended up being faster on Windows. (Still have no idea how tho.) So, i installed windows 10 using bootcamp, installed Citra Canary on the advice of some moderator here when i checked some posts on low fps of Omega Ruby, played Omega Ruby, got much better frame rates, (way more than I expected), with 20-22 fps being the lowest, in big cities like Rustboro and Slateport. Otherwise I get an average of 30-40 fps, and inside houses 50-60 or even more sometimes if i remember right. (surprised me).

I checked a post here to see if there was a way it could be sped up Outside, because it got annoying in cities especially. Understood the reason to be loading more textures and everything. And also saw that my CPU had barely crossed the 1800 mark that a moderator said should be ideal for Citra in the score website that he had linked as well in the same post.

I’ve also noticed posts where moderators say Citra isn’t optimised yet, as well as some saying get a better CPU.

What I want to know is, with my current specs, does it make sense to wait (say a year or two or few years as well?) for citra to be optimized? I mean, is it entirely on my CPU that i get low framerates, or is it highly possible that there can be better frame-rates for Omega Ruby with further optimisations in the future? (considering that games other than pokemon average on much better fps relatively) I just want to know if there is hope for my i7-6700HQ in delivering better framerates than 20-22 fps in cities and other places in the future, or if i will have to sacrifice playing Pokemon 3DS games for like 5 years, because I can’t get another laptop until this hugely expensive one gets old .-.

Considering your laptop specs, I would say that Citra is your main issue, since it’s unoptimized.

Also, you have a Radeon Pro 450 GPU. With huge changes coming to Citra in a couple of months, there will be a massive framerate improvement for those, who have a dedicated GPU.

1 Like

This is a BIG relief. Thank you so much! :sweat_smile: :smiley: I am definitely super Hyped!