What laptop supports both citra canary and yuzu emulator?

Hello, I’m currently trying to get a new laptop for work, but I’d also like to do some mild gaming on it. If it’s possible, is there a specific laptop that can support both citra canary and yuzu emulator without either crashing or freezing? I’m currently using a surface (full description below) and only citra works on it. Yuzu freezes every time when I start the game my entire computer stops responding. I was told that I’ll need 64 bit processor, single-core CPU rating 1800 or above, and OpenGL 3.3 support for citra, and at least 6 cores, a dedicated graphics card with at least 4GB VRAM, and 16GB RAM minimum for yuzu. Is there someone that can get both running on the same device? If so, which laptop? Thanks.

Current surface specifications:

Device name DESKTOP-2F12AR9
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i5-7300U CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.71 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB
Device ID 0F9A47C1-EEBB-45B3-B14A-DE9293E4CF74
Product ID 00356-01005-58902-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch Pen and touch support with 10 touch points
Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 21H1
Installed on ‎2021/‎2/‎14
OS build 19043.1766
Serial number 051854582953
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0

Citra, as you mentioned, doesn’t require much from your hardware. So it is relatively easy to run compared to yuzu. Which is unavoidable as yuzu emulates a way more modern console than Citra.

A fast, at least 6 core CPU is critically important for good performance in yuzu. And of course, preferably a dedicated NVIDIA or AMD GPU.

Which means you’re looking at a laptop branded for gaming. Which means you’ll need a pretty high budget. Speaking of which, do you have a ballpark number of around how much you’re looking to spend?

Not really but of course, it can’t be way too expensive. I’m not looking to game like 8 hours a day, I’m mainly buying one for work and some mild gaming. If it’s not possible to run yuzu on a portable laptop that I can take to work every day then only having citra and not both works for me. However, if it’s not possible to have yuzu, can you please tell me which laptop or brand works decently with citra? Doesn’t have to run flawlessly or anything, just as long as it wouldn’t freeze/crash (just as long as it works). I can take some lags like what I’m having now. Thank you.

Well, then you do have a budget. What price range would be acceptable (not too expensive) to you?

Dedicated Nvidia GPUs net the best performance in Vitra currently. Any modern CPU would run Citra fine. Things to avoid are any Intel CPU + GPU combo with “G” in the model name. The GPUs those come with tend to have issues with Citra.

An important thing to understand with emulation is that the power of the host hardware (in this case your laptop) doesn’t always scale with performance in the emulator. Since emulation has a lot of overhead calculations to make sure games can run, some games require “special optimizations” to make sure they can run at more than 2 FPS, even on a NASA PC.
so the game you’re attempting to emulate is an important part of what your performance will be like.

In any case, to provide optimal suggestions in what might be the best laptop choice for you, we would need at least some idea on how much you’d be willing to spend.

Right now I’m considering Apple Silicon M1 MacBook Pro, will citra at least run on this properly? Budget-wise, I’m willing to spend the amount of a normal computer, so around $500-2500, I suppose.

I’ll try looking into laptops in that price range, but for the love of God don’t use Apple’s MacBooks for this. Yuzu literally doesn’t have a MacOS build and whilst Citra does have one, Apple silicon devices are not at all supported.

Is MacOS required for your work? Because if it is, it’ll make things very difficult in terms of emulation.

It isn’t required, however, I’m trying to look into computers that don’t have a loud ventilation noise since I work in an office. If yuzu can’t run it’s okay, I’m alright with having citra alone. But thank you for helping me out.

Most, if not all laptops have a “quiet mode” and a “boost mode” (naming schemes may differ per brand). So that shouldn’t be a problem unless you’re attempting to use yuzu whilst at work. Since yuzu would push the hardware to work hard, the hardware will heat up. Which means that it’ll need more cooling, hence the fans start turning louder which leads to more fan noise.

Most gaming laptops have a physical button that allows you to switch between the quiet and boost modes at will. Just keep in mind that giving the laptop a large workload like yuzu whilst forcing it to stay on quiet mode will just lead to the hardware throttling itself so that it doesn’t overheat. So the performance will degrade significantly.

Laptops like the HP OMEN 16-C0280nd (around 2000 dollars) or the Acer Nitro 5 AN517-41-R9EL (around 2500 dollars) would probably be able to run both emulators without much issue. The HP laptop looks a bit more businessy if you ask me though. The Acer one definitely looks like a gaming laptop first and foremost and has a bit better performance.
Then again, if you spend a bit more over budget, you can get one of the best laptops money can buy, like the ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503RW-LN054W (around 2900 dollars). This widely considered to be one of the best built, as well as the best cooled laptops around. But its fame also gave it a pretty price tag.

Laptop availability might be an issue from country to country. I’m looking at these laptops from the Netherlands for example. So what is available here, might not be available somewhere else.

Acer Nitro 5 Gaming Laptop, 15.6" FHD 144Hz IPS Display, Intel Core i5-10300H Processor, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050, 32GB RAM, 2TB PCIe NVMe SSD, Backlit Keyboard, Windows 10 Home, Intel Wi-Fi 6

Will this be a good alternative to the one you mentioned above, because that one seems like overkill. As I mentioned before, I’m completely okay with only citra working, since there’s still a lot to do on citra for mild gaming, yuzu is not obligatory. I know that core i5 is a bit old but it shouldn’t be that big of a problem, right?

For Citra, it wouldn’t be an issue. Citra can run on very old hardware. Basically any modern computer made within the last 4 years can run Citra, even the newer Celerons and Pentiums + integrated graphics will work fine. The suggestions I made earlier were specifically meant with yuzu in mind.

The i5-10300H is a decent CPU, the main downside for yuzu would be that it only has 4 cores and 8 threads. Ideally, you’d want to look for something with at least 6 cores and 12 threads. That would give you at least workable performance in yuzu in a lot of games.

Though, this would cost a little bit more, something like an Acer AN515-57-56CP, HP VICTUS 16-e0311nd, Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45-R3EH or Lenovo Legion 5 (Ryzen 7 5800H 17.3" RTX3050 model) would get you a whole lot more use out of your money. These should all be under 1300 dollars mark. The Lenovo Legion 5 (the model I specified) especially would be a good buy if you can get it for cheap.

Ok, thank you so much for your help, I will look into the rest by myself :+1:

1 Like