When running DQMJ3P (Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 Professional) with the latest version of canary-2238, the game becomes very slow during scene transitions

Issue:
When using canary-2238 to play DQMJ3P, the speed of the game will become very slow when there is any screen transition or loading, and an audio glitch repeating, fps drops to 0, frame latency gets in the thousands and as soon as the loading is done, everything is back to being perfect…
I tried various versions of canry and found the following results:

1. When playing DQMJ3P with emulators of canary-1688 and earlier versions, the screen will be smooth and no problem
  2. When playing DQMJ3P with emulators of canary-1690 and later versions, the speed of the game will become very slow when there is any screen transition or loading.

The reason I guess is:
In canary-1688 and earlier versions, 3D games have a preload function, which can ensure that 3D games can run smoothly; but canary-1690 and later versions have modified the function of the 3D game scene preload function. As a result, it is not compatible with DQMJ3P, so the speed will become very slow when there is any screen transition or loading.

So I want to ask for help, how can I run DQMJ3P smoothly on the latest version of canary-2238, I read a lot of articles with similar problems, but the situation has not improved.
Because the latest version of the emulator has some accessibility features (like setting alternate speed) that are not available on the older version of the canary, I believe these accessibility features will make me enjoy the game more enjoyable, so I want to play DQMJ3P on the latest citra.

System Information
*Operating System: Windows 11
*CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-12700H 2.70 GHz
*GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Laptop GPU
*Citra Version: canary-2238
*Game: Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 Professional
*Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar):

Diagnostic Log
citra_log.txt (59.1 KB)

In order to save a copy of the log, follow this guide:
https://community.citra-emu.org/t/how-to-upload-the-log-file/296

The issue is actually related to the CPU core timing change introduced in Nightly 1544. This was beneficial for almost all games in terms of accuracy and even performance. However, a select small number of games instead suffered performance penalties from it. DQMJ3P is one of those games unfortunately. This most likely won’t get fixed until the core timings are reworked once more.

For now, using Nightly 1543 would net you the best performance with this title.

Okay, understood.
But the reason why I want to play DQMJ3P on the new version of citra is because it has the function of alternate speed, unfortunately Nightly 1543 does not have this function
If you can make a citra emulator that has the function of alternate speed and can run the DQMJ3P smoothly,I will be very grateful.
But anyway thanks for telling me why, thanks again.

It’s be easiest to just take 1543 and add the alternate speed pr to it yourself. We’re definitely not going to set the precedent of creating custom builds for everyone. That’d get messy real quick.

Understood, many thanks

1 Like