Yuzu Crashes While Rendering Shader

Hi, I’m new to the community, sorry if I’m breaking any rules.
I’ve been playing Fire Emblem Three Houses, and Yuzu has a probability of crashing whenever it renders a new shader. I’m wondering if there’s a way to solve this problem? I’ve attached my Yuzu log below (yes, the log cuts off mid-sentence at the end of the file, that’s the way I found it when I opened it). I have no mods installed, any help is greatly appreciated!

CPU: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz
Graphics: Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics
RAM: 16GB
Yuzu build: 1255 (11/29/2022)

yuzu_log.txt (181.5 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                               yuzu 1255
Operating System                             Windows 10 Version 21H2 (Build 19044.2251)
CPU                                          11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz | AVX512 | FMA
Graphics API                                 Vulkan 1.2.190
Graphics Renderer                            Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics
GPU Driver Version                           Intel Corporation 100.9955
Host RAM                                     15.77 GiB
Host Swap                                    9.00 GiB
CPU Accuracy                                 Auto
GPU Accuracy                                 Normal
Docked Mode                                  [x]
CPU Multicore                                [x]
Async GPU                                    [x]
Async Shaders                                [x]

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a human moderator to assist.

There’s not much that can be done here, KOEI games have shaders big enough that make small GPUs time out.
Try updating your GPU driver: Intel® Graphics – Windows* DCH Drivers
Follow this if it doesn’t want to update: Graphics Driver Installation Error: "Your system has a...

I think my drivers are up to date, guess there’s not much I can do for now. One thing I want to say, I’ve rolled back to build 1219 for a while and I haven’t had any crashes from shader compiling at all. For my personal situation, I’ll stay on that build for now. Thanks for the help!

That driver is quite outdated, I recommend manually installing the latest one, especially for more recent titles.

1 Like

Apologies, I’m not the best with computer stuff. Windows’s automatic search told me that my driver’s were updated, but I’ll try manually updating. Thanks again!

oh please never rely on windows update or device manager for things like this. Manually updating will always be advised. Windows loves to give you what barely works to display out properly. Doesn’t always mean it is the newest driver :sweat:

1 Like

I updated my driver manually (update 10/17/22, thanks for the advice), but I might be having the same problem. The emulator’s video output is freezing; the game starts building a new shader, the video freezes, then the audio and gameplay continue as normal. My inputs still work (I’m getting audio feedback), but my video has frozen. Every time the emulator crashes, opening the same rom results in the emulator hanging while building the last shader on startup. So, I’m forced to clear out my shader cache each time I attempt this.
I’ll upload my log again, I’ve also updated my Yuzu build to 1257. I tried messing with various graphics settings (asynch GPU emulation, accelerate ASTC, asynch shader building, anisotropic filtering) but I’m still getting the same error. With my low-end GPU, I’m guessing there’s not much that can be done? I wasn’t having any trouble for the past 50ish hours I’ve been playing, but this one level seems to have some shaders that cause problems for my GPU. Any help is appreciated!

yuzu_log.txt (52.6 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                               yuzu 1257
Operating System                             Windows 10 Version 21H2 (Build 19044.2251)
CPU                                          11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz | AVX512 | FMA
Graphics API                                 Vulkan 1.3.228
Graphics Renderer                            Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics
GPU Driver Version                           Intel Corporation 101.3790
Host RAM                                     15.77 GiB
Host Swap                                    10.00 GiB
CPU Accuracy                                 Auto
GPU Accuracy                                 Normal
Docked Mode                                  [ ]
CPU Multicore                                [x]
Async GPU                                    [x]
Async Shaders                                [ ]

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a human moderator to assist.

Fire Emblem games, and any other game made by Koei Tecmo, use shaders that very bloated and heavy, enough to make GPU drivers time out, especially on low power CPU parts.
There’s no solution for Intel GPUs timing out in Vulkan, you can try OpenGL, but the only solution is to get hardware with a better GPU, from AMD or NVIDIA.

1 Like