Yuzu - Progress Report November 2021

https://yuzu-emu.org/entry/yuzu-progress-report-nov-2021/

when Yozu are coming on Android

Not any time soon, it’s not a priority for now.
Lack of proper devices for accurate emulation is also an issue.

Hi, I’m new here. Thanks for your work on Yuzu. The progress reports are a bright spot in these pandemic times.

It seems like the bundled version of mesa and ffmpeg will not work on systems with different GPU vendors. This is caused by Flatpak’s built-in ffmpeg lacking support for NVDEC and VDPAU on NVIDIA hardware, and having broken codec detection.

It looks like the proprietary nature of those decoders is the issue:

It seems like the only way to solve this problem will be to just ship our own ffmpeg instead of Flatpak’s default version.

That is one of the suggestions in the issue above, so you’re probably on the right track. Hopefully that’s not too cumbersome.

Just your average GNOME, who manages both Flatpak and FlatHub.

I know this kind of situation is annoying to deal with for emu developers who just want to package their software and get on with development, and I’m guessing Flatpak is probably more annoying to deal with than most package formats with its sandboxing requirements. But as a frequent Flatpak user, I’m very appreciative of Flatpak’s sandboxing features for proprietary software as well as their commitment to bundling Freedesktop runtimes by default.

If you have questions about packaging Yuzu for Flatpak, the folks in the Matrix chat room have been quite knowledgeable and helpful in my experience.

To get a little pedantic, Flatpak and Flathub aren’t really “managed” by GNOME, though they do definitely have overlapping history and contributors. If you really wanted to find a “parent”, it might be the Freedesktop project, but that doesn’t really mean a whole lot either. All of these organizations are pretty distributed and volunteer-centric, so there isn’t exactly a management hierarchy. Companies like Red Hat can definitely sponsor development, but they don’t have total control either. Volunteers and donations are significant, and developers pretty much steer the ship, just like with Yuzu.

I hope this didn’t come off as rude or anything; I’m sure you get enough negativity from ignorant users. I just wanted to show some support for Flatpak and GNOME, two other free software projects I appreciate. Yuzu probably has more in common with them both than not :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:. Thanks again for your work on Yuzu and the progress reports! And thanks for packaging a Flatpak!

Thanks! I passed the info to our developer, hopefully we can resolve this without just reverting to software decoding.

Any idea when YuZu will get online play similar to Citra? I know we wont be able to play on any official nintendo servers with real switches but playing with other emulator users would be nice

It’s in the works. Will still take some time.

mpv drops GNOME support - LinuxReviews seems to be quite widespread now.

Sorry for the late reply. I don’t seem to get email notifications here for some reason.

I’m not 100% sure what you’re trying to say by referencing the mpv thing; it seems mostly unrelated to my comments. That’s a separate disagreement some developers had with the GNOME people over whether to support the idle-inhibit Wayland protocol in GTK. Developers have disagreements over standards frequently. I would say GNOME does tend to break from convention more than most, but I don’t think the issue you mentioned makes “Just your average GNOME, who manages both Flatpak and FlatHub” any more valid, for all the reasons I enumerated in my original comment. The mpv developers seem to be pretty irritated with GNOME in general, but for what it’s worth, as a GNOME user the only message I get at present when running mpv is:

[vo/gpu/wayland] GNOME's wayland compositor lacks support for the idle inhibit protocol. This means the screen can blank during playback.

All this means is that mpv can’t block the screensaver when video is playing. The GTK developers must have thought this wasn’t GTK’s job. As a result, mpv notes this as an issue in their docs and considers GNOME unsupported. For what it’s worth, Celluloid, a wrapper for mpv that provides a more native UI for GNOME/GTK environments, handles this fine, so I think pretty much everyone got what they wanted in the end.

But this is straying a bit from my original message. I only intended to provide some clarification on the free software ecosystem around GNOME, Flatpak, and Flathub. I still stand by the summary and comments I provided in the original comment regarding nonfree codecs and Flatpak, and I don’t think mpv’s quibbles with GTK impact what I said much. Feel free to let me know if I’ve misinterpreted.

Thanks again!

1 Like