Yuzu seems to hit memory limits on Vulcan over OpenGL as AMD GPU

To begin with the reason why Yuzu is Crashing on Vulcan is more because I’m running out of memory than because of any glitches. I run out of memory at my 8GB of Ram and it crashes. Completely understandable as my computer is 6 years old and is near the minimum requirement for Yuzu while I’m playing Pokemon Sword.

Weirdly enough though, despite reaching very similar speeds on OpenGL it doesn’t crash. It seems as if it just stresses out my memory and CPU/GPU less, maybe it’s easier on my computer because OpenGL has more errors like the wireframes and sometimes also doesn’t hit the same speeds?

I was more just curious if you guys had any idea why.

My actual specs are

GPU AMD Radeon R9 270X who has updated to 20.11.2 for my graphic card drivers.

For my CPU I’m running a Intel® Core™ i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz 4 Cores with 8 GB.

8 GB Ram DDR3-1600

I’m also planning on creating a new computer in the next few months.

Any recommendations for CPU’s/GPU’s that work especially well with Yuzu for there price?

Edited because I realized you could attach the Log file directly rather than through Mediafire

yuzu_log.txt (252.5 KB)

In order for us to provide better support, we need to see the log generated by Citra. This guide will walk you through how you can obtain the log file: How to Upload the Log File.

This is a current limitation on Vulkan. Unussed assets are not being removed from VRAM, and emulation has to stop once it is full.
We’re working to solve this by introducing a “texture reaper” and VRAM defragger in the near future.

1 Like

Thank you that completely answers my question then. I guess until I upgrade to my new computer I’ll stick to OpenGL then despite being AMD.

Try a Linux distro, you may have a pleasant surprise with the AMD OpenGL performance there.

Sorry I actually never saw this, I saw one of your earlier posts and increasing my Virtual Page Memory to 25GB with my 8GB of ram helped a lot although running into Memory problems and having it crash is still my most common problem. Even did some experiments with Single Core and it works significantly better now.

Which Linux Distro would you recommend, the last time I installed one on my Laptop was years ago so I’m not sure what would be good for Citra. I’m willing to install one though and give it a shot if you think it would help save memory better/give better performance.

I recommend either Ubuntu or Manjaro.