Yuzu x Raptor Partnership

Read more at https://yuzu-emu.org/entry/yuzu-x-raptor/

1 Like

This is a pretty sad development.

This is saddening… it died rather quickly for such an ambitious project.

I am a bit sad, but I am offline player, hope that Yuzu Team will continue to work on this wonderful emu, making more games available with minimum bugs and stability.

What? Why?

This was a great update!

i was all excited to play some online balloon games…and now its gone. with no explanation. yuzu is so great that i’ve been patreon for over a year. this is discouraging on how permanent it is. i am curious on what feedback was received in a matter of a few hours that resulted in its termination. as a patreon subscriber i’d expect to have features like this available, even if in beta.

Does anyone have a link or any insight as to why this was so abuptly dismantled? The article mentions that there was some sort of feedback. I assume it was negative, but I’m just so confused. What could have been so negative?

What happened? I was really hoping to try this out…

Could you direct me to some of the feedback that led to the decision to take online play down? I’m confused and could use some insight.

very vague reasoning like did Nintendo go after the raptor network, threaten yuzu or was it really because of feedback they could let us see the feedback just take out the user names.

I think it’s a good call to revoke online access. If history shows anything, blizzard usually doesn’t go after private servers… until they try to monetize it.

Yuzu is almost the same as what a emulator does in that sense. In the sense that it emulates the product, in which case it’s a console, not a MMO. Now of course, start using official nintendo media assets and they’ll show up faster than a dog at a dinner bowl. We don’t need them to have any reasons to pursue a emulator, which right now, they usually leave emulators alone as that’s generally a gray legal area.

if Nintendo did not have anything to do with it hopefully raptor will come back and be implemented the same way cemu hook was in cemu

Bad news. What about local wireless support then? Do we get that in future?

The fact that there were Patreon subscribers trying out this service is begging for Nintendo to sue. They will see it as a paid service and want to shut it down. Having a Patreon account muddies the waters when it comes to emulation. The other issue is the fact via the RaptorNetwork you are uploading custom levels of Super Mario Maker which is made via official assets provided by the game.

2 Likes

Excellent response. Wish yuzu said that. And I know game caches are also considered copyrighted material. But not as controlled. I know there are private networks for wii but not paid. And I think only custom tracks are uploaded for mario kart. The ability for private servers would be nice. I miss the days before steam.

Don’t anger Nintendo you will be silenced and make you vanish without a trace like other groups.
118zhu9

I don’t take credit for what I share in this post below, this is outside source.

Why was axed.

• Yuzu’s NSO support was being developed in partnership with Raptor Network
  • Raptor Network, who has Ultramarine Holdings LLC behind it, is a Nintendo Switch Online replacement similar to bnetd which provided an alternative to Battle.net’s servers for StarCraft created via Reverse Engineering. Blizzard opened a lawsuit against this which they won.
  • Little information is known about who owns Raptor Network and their website is already down
  • In its initial form, Raptor Network only supported some features in Super Mario Maker 2 & Super Mario Odyssey while allowing you to set a nickname and a profile picture
  • To use Yuzu’s NSO support, one has to be an active yuzu Early Access subscriber which costs $5/month (before tax) making online functionality cost $60/yearly which is 3 times more than what Nintendo asks for in order to provide the real deal
  • the Raptor Network thing would have likely never supported mainline builds of Yuzu

The axe.

As mentioned in the introduction, Yuzu’s NSO support immediately raised red flags within the community, where bunnei (Team Yuzu member) posted the aforementioned post on NSO support, highlighting various issues. Firstly, concerns were raised about the fact that Yuzu & Raptor Network are directly competing against Nintendo’s online service which could have ended up in a C&D order against them as was the case with bnetd mentioned above. Secondly, critics were raising the point that Yuzu’s NSO replacement service is 3x more expensive than Nintendo’s official service and that the functionality offered in Super Mario Odyssey is completely free on Nintendo’s servers thus not requiring an NSO subscription. Thirdly, some suggested that before introducing such important features, Yuzu should focus on fixing performance issues and taking care of [regressions in titles such as Fire Emblem 3 Houses] which have recently popped up.

Due to the not-so-favourable community response, those behind Yuzu swiftly axed the project indefinitely which does open the question of how in touch the Yuzu team are with the community. Perhaps if the Yuzu team discussed implementing NSO support with users, they might have not ended up wasting a good deal of effort in adding NSO functionality to their emulator which could have been spent elsewhere.

It seems that there is another way named Local Wireless

When you want to play games over the internet, you generally use that game’s Online mode. So why not do that here?

The first option would be connecting directly to Nintendo’s servers using information and user accounts dumped from your console. If you’ve been in the Switch modding community for a while, you already know what the problem with this is. Unlike the Wii U, official server communication is known to have a bunch of traps that can easily get your console banned from the service if we don’t behave exactly like an unmodified switch. That isn’t reasonable to expect right now, and we don’t want to be responsible for bans, so that’s out of the question.

The second option is emulating these official servers ourselves, implementing all of the matchmaking logic that NSO uses to bring players together, generally called NEX. However, not all games will use NEX, and even if they do, they may use some variation that requires a custom implementation/plugin for that specific game. This is also a bit of a legal minefield, given NSO’s subscription fees and that it could be considered as “DRM”.

Thankfully, there is a third option: Local Wireless . Local Wireless has been a staple of handheld game consoles since the DS first introduced it. All this really does is link nearby players together in the same wireless network - this is a regular IP network that you can use all your favourite transport protocols over. If a game has an online mode, it is very easy to port their netcode to work over a Local Wireless network instead. You can see this happening with most games on the Switch, with a few exceptions. (curse you, Garfield Kart!)

This way, we gain support for “online” multiplayer in many of the games with online modes, while avoiding any unwanted attention we might garner by re-implementing details of a live, paid service. History has proven this to be a potential legal liability, though it will obviously become more tempting when the console reaches End-of-Life, where we might want to preserve some of the online features that would otherwise be lost forever, whenever that time comes.

1 Like

jaime bien yuzu :ensoleillé:

I fear that Nintendo will.
images
road-kill-mouse-dead-ahead-stop Road Kill necromancer-squirrel-revives-roadkill

Une nouvelle qui pue.